Could this baby get any cuter?
Lance's Dad and Grandmother
First time holding a real shaker. Lance can't wait for the day when she can say "Roll Tide!" Apart from her salvation, it will be a day where true warmth and joy fill his heart in a way he could only imagine!
Ready to cheer on the Tide! What a great time to be a Bama fan!
This isn't a great picture, but my Uncle Gary made the beautiful stool that Madeline is sitting on
Madeline and Gigi on the carousel at the Galleria.
So I dared to leave my child for the first time this past weekend. I went on a girls/moms beach weekend. Lance's mom came up for part of the weekend to help (its a real burden for her to have to spend two nights with her granddaughter as you can imagine), so that Lance could study some for his upcoming exam. Otherwise he said he would have loved to get to take care of Maddie by himself all weekend (he might not feel this way when we have 2 or 3!). Surprisingly, I was not that homesick. I obviously had great company and there was no lack of conversation for 3 straight days, so I had little time to sit and think about my family at home. I was in definite need of a break. Its easy to get burnt out on taking care of children all day. I am so grateful that I am not, but that others are, called to be school teachers.
On a side note, please pray for Lance. He is in crunch mode for this next exam on Nov. 1. He wakes up at 5am, spends two hours before work studying, studies through his lunch hour and then sometimes an hour after work studying as well. So generally he gets home around 6-6:30 each evening. He is given time to study at work, but imagine spending from 6am to 6pm doing nothing but working or studying for a seriously boring subject. Its also taxing on me mentally as well, since its hard for Lance to engage when he gets home due to being burnt out. We are so grateful for our friends who love us through these exam times!
In my Bible Study we have been going through a book called "Wisdom for Mothers" by Denise Glenn. She has in it a list of 16 of Suzanna Wesley's child rearing rules (she had 19 children, including John, founder of the Methodist Church, and Charles, wrote many famous hymns). I thought I would share them with you all because some of them were so great-remember these were written over 200 years ago!
1. Eating between meals is not allowed
2. As children, they are to be in bed by 8 pm
3. They are required to take medicine without complaining
4. They are to subdue their self-will so that they might be open to God's salvation
5. Teach a child to pray as soon as he can speak
6. Require all to be still during family worship
7. Give them nothing they cry for, and only that which they ask for politely
8. To prevent lying, punish no fault which is first confessed and repented
9. Never allow a sinful act to go unpunished
10. Never punish a child twice for a single offense
11. Commend and reward good behavior
12. Any attempt to please, even if poorly performed should be commended
13. Preserve property rights, even in the smallest matter
14. strictly observe all promises
15. Require no daughter to work before she can read well
16. Teach children to reverence God
Some of those are silly, some don't allow for grace (for the child or for myself as a sinner), but some others I thought were great and I hope that the Lord can show Lance and I how to work them into our parenting when the time comes (as Madeline is not yet taking instruction on her behavior!).
9.19.2007
Roll Tide!
at 2:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Even though I am an Auburn fan, that baby sure does look cute in her crimson and white!
Good to catch up on ya'll. Lance, I believe Seth could empathize with you right now as he is also spending long days studying really boring things right now. We'll be thinking of you on November 1st. Teresa, it's too bad Suzanna lived such a long time ago...my kids LOVE to take medicine...strawberry is their favorite flavor. We miss all 3 of you!
Mary
What a cute baby! She and Mckenzie would have a blast together. Well, Mckenzie might try to chew her hair. That list of parenting tips from Suzanna Wesley was great!
It's weird to write the word "Suzanna" without our last name following...
Roll Tide!
Post a Comment