1.02.2009

Happy New Year

Well I hope everyone has a happy new year! 2008 did not end so well as we spent from 6 to after 10pm at Children's Hospital after hours clinic. Madeline had been running fever for almost 3 days and had a horrible cough and congestion. Right after I had signed us in, she went into a coughing fit and threw up all over herself and me. Thankfully we were both still wearing our coats and that's all that was soiled. This was actually the first time I have been thrown up on in 2 years so not a bad stretch. She threw up again a few times after this as well. A nurse in the back even came out to check her oxygen level. Lance arrived from work just a few minutes later, which I was thankful for the help. We waited FOREVER (an hour) for the doctor, to confirm that she had double ear infections, and wheezing. So on to x-ray to rule out pneumonia (which was negative), but her breathing was rather labored so she had to have a breathing treatment as well. Then checkout took another 30 minutes, so it was 10:10pm when we got in the car after our 6pm appointment. The staff and doctor were wonderful, it was just a holiday and extra slow!! I went home to get M ready for bed, Lance went to the pharmacy only to find they didn't have mask we needed to give her home breathing treatments, so it was 11:15pm before he got home. Mind you, we had not eaten dinner either thinking we would be home by 8 or 8:30. M had a few snacks but wasnt really eating much anyways. So, she is on the mend, but we are all fighting off the cold/congestion now. Again, I must express my admiration for single parents. I cannot imagine having to do the doctor, then pharmacy, then bedtime all alone, let alone with more than one child.

What is the deal with the networks showing the ball dropping at 11pm in the central time zone? Really my only complaint about living in CST. But still, can't they show it on a delay for just one night of the year? I was trying to keep M up for just a few minutes so she could take the antibiotic, so she saw the ball drop for the first time and I gave her a kiss. When then went to read books and sing (as we do every night before bed), even as sick as she was, when I asked what she wanted me to sing she started singing "Jesus loves me." It melted my heart.

On a side note, Lance and I had not showered "all year", until this morning.

Things she has said lately that I don't want to forget:
1. When she was really congested she would leave the couch to come say "my eye hurt. kiss it better." I'm assuming from all the sinus pressure.
2. She thinks all things can be kissed better. I told her my back was hurting and she said "kiss it better" and gave my back many kisses. When Lance fake cries (usually due to her taking toys from him) she will kiss him (but will not return the toy).
3. She is such a ham. She knows what gets a laugh. When she passes gas she will loudly announce that she is "Miss Poo-nin." I really only have myself to blame for this. I say she is "Miss pootikins, excuse you" when she does this, but I should have said them in reverse. She will say "scuse me" some times.
4. The other day we were driving to Sam's Club and I was going over my list aloud. I would say, "I need chicken, I need diapers, etc." Madeline from the back, unprompted mind you, "I need tampons" and then laughed heartily. She know this is a word I don't like her to use and they were not on my list either (long sigh).
5. M will repeat "I love you Mommy" when I ask her to. Even though it will be better when its unprompted, it still feels great to hear.

My last thought for the night-GEEZZ BAMA!!!!!!!! RIDICULOUS!!!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Completely feel for you. Spent the entire day before Thanksgiving in the er with Caleb-not fun. Hope she's feeling better now!

Maggie Pelton said...

I'm so sorry she was so sick. I know that must've been a rough night.

Our Philosophy said...

I spent 3 nights in the Peds ward at DCH last weekend with little Wendy. I can empathize!